November 27, 2003

Two hours late...
Well, to make a long story short, I was two hours late for work today. Now for the story...
One of the girls from Vimy, Patricia, is thinking about doing the Canadian Assistants in France program next year, so she asked if she could follow me around for the day. I got permission from both of my schools, and we got everything worked out.
We got to the meeting point, where one of the teachers was to pick us up this morning. OK, we were 5 minutes late, but the teacher is usually 15 minutes late. As it turns out, he waited until 7h45, but we arrived at 7h40, so we should have seen each other - except for the heavy fog (like pea soup, literally), and large amounts of traffic. By 8h10 we figured that he wasn't coming, so we took the metro to the end of the line, then got onto the bus to Armentieres. The bus was late, so we missed the connecting bus to the small town where I work. After waiting for 50 minutes in a little cafe across the street from the bus stop, we got the next bus, then walked to the school.
By the time that we got to the school, two hours and two classes after I was supposed to start, all of the teachers looked shocked that we even showed up. Evidently the story had spread around the school.
I feel really bad, but I still don't know how we missed the car with only one windshield wiper (it's right in the middle of the window in case you're wondering) which was to give us a ride to school.
Just another day in the life of a language assistant I guess.
A+

No comments: