November 21, 2004

Bowling for Columbine...
After being asked many times in France if I had seen "Bowling for Columbine" and if it was true that all Canadians don't lock their doors, I finally watched the movie by Michael Moore (after working on my term paper most of the day). It's the movie that Moore did before Fahrenheit 9/11 (which I also saw, and thought was good too).
It was mainly about gun violence in America, and the tragedy that happened at Columbine High School in Colorado. There wasn't really anything new in the movie that I haven't heard or seen before, but it was interesting to see it all put together. The higher gun violence rate in the US, the lack of medicare, the NRA (National Riffle Association), and the massacre at Columbine.
When the documentary got to the part about the shootings at Columbine, I remembered a film that I watched in France called "Elephant". It's a film that is based on the shootings, yet follows both the killers, and some of the students in the school that get killed. It's not a happy movie, but it's very moving.

No comments: