November 05, 2004

Here I Go Again...
Here's another little rant for you. I found an interesting article from the International Herald Tribune which talked about what the international observers said about the US elections.
Here's a quick summary of the article: The observers said they had less access to polls than in Kazakhstan, that the electronic voting had fewer fail-safes than in Venezuela, that the ballots were not so simple as in the Republic of Georgia and that no other country had such a complex national election system. Konrad Olszewski, an OSCE election observer stationed in Miami, said: "To be honest, monitoring elections in Serbia a few months ago was much simpler."
How sad is that?
Now I'll start on the US Patriot Act.
Basically, it's a law enacted by Bush that allows the US government to look into anyone's medical, financial, or any other type of records that they want, without probable cause, whenever they want. I wouldn't really care (OK I would, but not as much) except for the fact that this law can extend into Canada. Bascially, the US can force an American company that has a branch in Canada to surrender any information that it has, on Canadians or Americans. Scary eh??
The province where I live has out-sourced it's medical records to an American company. I won't say any more.

No comments: