February 27, 2005

Il pleure dans mon coeur...
I have to memorize and recite a poem for my French phonetics midterm on Thursday, so I've chosen this poem. It's an interesting poem, and it's in our textbook, so I thought I'd choose it. Plus, it's not too long or complicated (the poem has to be at least 10 lines long), and it's one that my prof likes (as long as I don't butcher it while reciting...).

Il pleure dans mon coeur
Comme il pleut sur la ville ;
Quelle est cette langeure
Qui pénètre mon coeur?

Ô bruit doux de la pluie
Par terre et sur les toits !
Pour un coeur qui s'ennuie,
Ô le chant de la pluie !

Il pleure sans raison
Dans ce coeur qui s'écoeure.
Quoi ! nulle trahison ?
Ce deuil est sans raison.

C'est bien la pire peine
De ne savoir pourquoi
Sans amour et sans haine
Mon coeur a tant de peine !

English Translation:
It cries in my heart
Like it rains on the city;
What is this listlisness
That penetrates my heart?

Oh the sweet sound of the rain
On earth and on the roofs!
For a heart that's saddened,
Oh the song of the rain!

It cries without reason
In this heart that is depressed.
What! No treason?
This sorrow is without reason.

It's well the worst pain
To not know why
Without love and without hate
My heart has so much pain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ahhhhhhh i actually understood that! :D