October 01, 2005

Rabbit-Proof Fence...
I finally watched Rabbit-Proof Fence, a movie that I've been wanting to see for a while. It's the true story of three aboriginal girls in Australia who were taken away by the government to be trained as domestic workers. The three girls managed to escape, and make their way 1,500 miles through the Western Australian countryside and desert back to their home. Along the way they are hunted by the authorities, who try to out-smart the three children.
It's set in 1931, a time when the Australian government removed "half-caste" children from their homes "to save them from themselves", from what's called the "Lost Generation" today. Two of the three original girls are still alive today, and are still living in the Outback. It's a truly incredible story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to be watching that movie in my Post Colonial geog class (think of the title of my class, you'll figure out why its imortant to the movie).

I thought Diane would marry the first one she started going out with ! hah.

Let me know your schedule, then we'll go out.

SB

Stephen said...

Have you seen the movie before? It's pretty good, and I can see why you'd watch it in your course.
Have you seen Indochine? It's a French movie (with Mme. Binoche) based on the French occupation of Indochine (now mainly Vietnam).