March 18, 2004

French language problems...
I have a sad tale to tell. I'm surprised at the number of French pupils that have problems with their own language.
Just this week, I wrote "easy-facile" on the board in a 5° class (age 13ish). Two of the pupils said to me, "hey, there's no 'e' in facile". I was certain there was, since I've taken French for a long time, and it's one of the first words you learn. I said, "yes, there is an 'e' in facile", then looked it up in their textbook, and showed it to them.
Today, the English teacher corrected a kid who said, "moi aussi", instead of the correct "moi non plus".
In class today, a kid wrote "J'ai assister" (I asked them to write in French first, then translate into English). I cringed, and corrected him on his spelling. It should have been 'assisté' (I don't know if you can see the accent ague on the last E or not).
I know that there are problems with English students too, but it seems weird speaking French as a second language, and having to correct the students in their first language. I know that my English is not perfect, but I have never written "I was help" (except for right there).

No comments: