November 23, 2004

Hydroponics, Part II...
If you remember way back when, I had started a hydroponics experiment for my Plant Physiology and Anatomy course. I grew a bean plant in a hydroponic environment with all the nutrients except nitrogen, to see how that would affect the plant and its growth.
Today was the last day of the experiment, and I'm happy to report that my plant looks pathetic. I'm happy, because that's what's supposed to happen, as nitrogen is essential for plant growth (it's in DNA, protein, lipids, etc.).
The best part though was that the lab was supposed to be a formal write up (i.e. lots of researching through journals to find an obscure piece of data), but instead the prof decided to give us a 2% bonus quiz testing on our ability to tell one type of deficiency from another (nitrogen, sulphur, potassium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, calcium). Then we talked about the plants. No formal write up!!

No comments: