August 28, 2005

l'Horreur d'Aurore...
I went to watch Aurore in Gatineau (Québec) this evening with a few of the guides . It`s a Québécois film that is set in the 1910`s Québec countryside. The true story is about a girl, named Aurore, who is physically abused by her step-mother after her mother dies of TB. Her father is too busy with work to notice that the abuse is getting worse, and she`s ignored by the village priest because he thinks that she`s lying and too cheeky. Some of the townspeople are worried, but don`t do anything because they don`t want to cause a stir (most of them owe the father money).
The girl is litterally abused to death at the age of 11. Trust me, you don`t want me to go into the details. Even though the film was rated 13+, it should be higher than that. The parents are tried and found guilty of manslaughter. The mother is first sentenced to hanging, then to life in prison (she got out early). The father was also sentenced to life in prison, but he got out after 5 years for good behaviour. The priest blew himself up with TNT, because of the fact that he had been to lofty to notice the small details in the village (he was a theologian, with the ambition of working at the Vatican).
It`s mind-boggling that parents can do that to their children. I don`t even know how someone could think like that. It`s totally beyond me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats too bad you think liek that Stephen, I think that things like that happen to people much closer than you think. Did I ever tell you that my mom kicked the shit out of me so bad I had to go to the hospt and lie and say I fell off my bike?

Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

-SB

Stephen said...

No, you haven`t told me that. I know that abuse happens, but it`s just not something that I think about all that often. I guess that I was lucky in that I`ve got great parents.
Apart from beating Aurore with a stick with two nails in it, her mother also burnt her with a red-hot iron poking stick (like the ones used for fireplaces) until she passed out and the house was filled with the smoke of her burning flesh...