September 24, 2006

Busy Weekend...
It started on Saturday with a visit to the Ancient Lotus Pond (古莲花池), first started in the 7th century during the Tang Dynasty. After being ransacked by the British, French, Germans, and Italians at the end of the Qing Dynasty (early 1900's), it was rebuilt to match the ancient style. There are many pavilions, a stele from 740AD, and many huge lotus leaves in the middle. I actually have no clue how many hours I spent in the park just wandering around.
I met an English teacher from the university and two students for dinner at a restaurant in another park, overlooking a pond. It was a beautifully warm night, and the food was excellent (except for the bitter melon which I'm not a fan of). I even loved the sticky black rice, which looked less than appealing.

I was out all Sunday, getting groceries, visiting friends, and eating (China's pastime, along with playing pingpong). In the evening I went for dinner with some Chinese friends at a cool restaurant that was done up with old communist stuff (Mao posters, red stars, and waitresses dressed in mock military uniforms). Amongst the dished I had one of Mao's favourite, which I nicknamed the "Mao Burger". It was pork in a sauce, eaten on a steamed bun. I loved it, though it was quite fatty.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photos. I wish I was there. Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

The pics look like they came right out of a travel brochure. Any pics of the Mao inspired restaurant?

Stephen said...

No pics of the restaurant, but I'm sure I'll be back. I have to have another Mao burger before I leave -I'll take some photos that time for sure.

Anonymous said...

Hey Stephen first time here; interesting and good content! i'll be back again-it would not enter my RSS feeds I don't know why! Will now check your photos! you can see i am not working yet!! have a great trip to Xi An!!
Wendy (wstibbs)