September 24, 2003

Faire de l'auto-stop...
Yup, I hitch-hiked today (and I'm safe mom and dad). Since I'm in Verdun, I decided to check out some of the war memorials. I didn't realise how far away they were. After walking for 2 hours, I finally got to the first one (five minutes after they closed for lunch). It's a memorial that holds the bones of 150 000 unknown French and German soldiers. There's also a huge cemetary in front.
Then I went to Fort de Douaumont, which is a massive fort built just before WW1. Then I stopped at a place where French and American soldiers were buried alive due to German gunfire. I walked back to the first monument, and got it. By this time it was 2:30, and I had been walking since 10. So I decided to try and hitch hike back to Verdun, thus saving myself 2 hours, and pain in my feet. A nice French couple picked me up (they were the first ones that I stuck my thumb up at), and dropped me off in Verdun.
There's no one else in the hostel (the two Germans left this morning), yet it's mysteriously going to be full on Thursday, but they will have space again on Friday. So, I'm headed to Chalons-en-Champagne, then Reims (I can only get two days), then somewhere else, before finally getting to Lille. I just want to get rid of all my luggage.
One more thing though, I'm sick of pain et confiture. When I get to Lille, I'm making egges, bacon, pancakes, and hash browns. No more bread and butter/jam.
A+ (A plus tard) mes amis...

No comments: