September 22, 2003

McMadagascar and a Lille Assistant...
Yesterday I went to the catacombes under Paris, and saw where millions of peoples bones lay. It was quite amazing. I've heard that they're better than the ones in Rome.
I caved and went to McDonald's, but for good reason. I didn't want to spend $16 Canadian on a personal sized cheese pizza. Besides, I had a McMadagascar at McDonalds. When was the last time you've seen one of those? Never for me, so I took a photo of it, and when I get to Lille, I'll put it online for you all to marvel at. They'll soon be having McIndia, McMorocco, McArgentina, etc. Should be interesting.
Anyway, the big story is what happened in the evening...
I had just gotten out of the shower, and there was a guy there trying to charge his cell phone. The plug wasn't working, so I suggested that he use the one downstairs, in the main area. We did the usually hostel thing, "where are you from, where are you going?", and I mentioned that I was going up to northern France to work. He said something about Lille and I was like, "yah, I'm going to be living in Lille this year".
He said, "really? Doing what?"
"Working as an assistant to an English teacher."
"Are you serious? Me too!"
So we ended up talking for a while, like a long while. It was like 9PM, and neither of us had eaten, so we went for dinner with his friend. The three of us headed out an area with a lot of restaurants (I can't remember the name of the area), and had dinner at a little, cheap French restaurant. The restaurant started to close down (I didn't know that they would actually eventually kick you out of a French restaurant), so we went to a little cafe (one of the very few that were actually open).
Anyway, after getting sort of lost in Paris (it was so late there was no metro running), we made it back to the youth hostel by 2:30 in the morning. Needless to say I'm a little tired.
That's all from the Jardin Internet in Paris, hope all is well.

No comments: